Friday, February 19, 2010

Ebeye Hospital - Right at Home


Check out my “large plates” for the full story of my (largely unnecessary) hospitalization – marciinthemarshalls.blogspot.com. Here’s the LDS angle:




In the emergency room, after getting my forehead stitched up, imagine how “at home” I felt when they gave me a ride upstairs to my hospital room in a wheelchair donated by . . . The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I knew the church had made wheelchair donations in various locations in the world; now I know the RMI is among them.



Then, when they wheeled me into my room, the first person to greet me was one of the sister missionaries in my branch! For just one day I roomed with the sister missionaries, one of whom was hospitalized for a boil on her foot. This is quite serious. According to Helen Claire Sievers, now of the Weston 1 Ward, many years ago her RMI branch president’s wife died from a boil, the infection from which spread into her bloodstream. This sister missionary had already spent 5 days in the hospital and was discharged the day I arrived. Interestingly, one of the sister missionaries is from Palau and the other is from Papua New Guinea.



Between the ride in the LDS-donated wheelchair and the sister missionary roommates, I felt right at home in the hospital from the first. In a situation that might have been quite unnerving, it was a sweet blessing to feel so comfortable and watched over by the Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment